Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spring 2015

.

It’s been almost six months since my last post on this blog.  I’m thinking of using it again on a more regular basis. We’ll see what happens.





I’ll start with the first day of spring.  My friend Marie Runyon  was 100 years old that day, last Friday.   I remember that Marie once told me that she first came to St. Mary’s in the 1940s and Wikipedia states that she moved to New York in 1947.   Over the years she has been at St. Mary’s on and off.  [Note: the two links for St. Mary's take you to different pages.] Currently she is more closely connected to Christ and St. Stephen’s Church.             

On Friday afternoon, March 20, there was a potluck party in Marie’s apartment to celebrate her birthday.  St. Mary’s people there, besides Liz and me, included  Dorothy Ross, Janet Dorman, and Bonnie Phelps.  Patty Ackerman, who was at St. Mary’s in the 1990's was also there.  There were also a  number of people from Christ and St. Stephen’s.

There were several “notables” who appeared.  I was most impressed that Lynne Stewart was there, in good spirits.  (Former) Governor David Paterson spoke as did our Assembly person Daniel O’Donnell (whose district currently does not include Marie’s building) and Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer.

The final notable to show up was our irrepressible State Senator Bill Perkins
All in all, it was a fun time.

No comments: